TIPS FROM YOUR GAINESVILLE PACKING SERVICES EXPERTS!
We understand what it takes to move your home, family or business. Here are some helpful tips from one of the packing services Gainesville residents and families depend on! Need some help? Call us today, or contact us online for information and an estimate. Be sure to check out our moving tips!
- Schedule a mover as soon as possible before your move.
- Most important, start packing early so you will not feel overwhelmed and stressed.
- Start a file for your moving receipts, they may be tax deductible.
- Take one room at a time and purge anything that you know you will never use or is old and unusable. Make a bag of any good will items and have one of the following organizations come and pick up your items: salvationarmy.org, lupus.org, pickupplease.org.
- Depending on the size of your home, purchase at least 25 boxes so that you do not have to make several trips. Once you pack up the 25 boxes, you will get a better idea of how many more boxes you will need. Boxes can be purchased at storage facilities.
- Purchase bubble wrap from the storage facility as well.
- Save your newspapers prior to your move - newspapers are good for wrapping things as well as bubble wrap and costs a lot less money.
- Purchase clear packing tape to seal each box. (Purchase at Home Depot).
- Purchase stick on labels for each box (can be purchased at Staples or any place that sells office supplies) and label the contents of each box. Be sure to give each box a number and a color.
- Purchase colored circle labels or square labels and stick one color on each box. Decide which color will represent which room the box goes into. For example, yellow stickered boxes go into the kitchen, blue stickered boxes go into bedroom 1, etc.
- Keep a separate list of the box numbers and items in the boxes.
- Find your instruction manuals for all electronics and anything that needs to be connected or assembled. Put them in a large envelope and put them in a safe place where they are easily accessible. If the movers need to assemble something and have a problem, you will know where the instruction manuals are located.
- Keep a tool box accessible on moving day and know where it is when you move into your new home. Do not pack your tool box in a moving box. Take it with you. You will be looking all over for your tools and you will definitely need your tool box to be accessible.
One Month Before you Move:
- Go to the post office and fill out a change of address form with the date you would like your mail to start being delivered to your new location.
- Notify medical doctors, dentist, eye doctor, schools, work, etc. of your new address.
Two Weeks Before you Move:
- Notify the following companies of your new address: cable, electric, telephone, gas, home insurance, car insurance, life insurance, charge card companies, bank, etc. of your new address.
- Gather up your last month of bills and put them in a separate file that is easily accessible in case you have to contact any of these companies when you move into your new location.
One Week Before you Move:
- Pack your valuables, these include passport, insurance documents, deeds, vehicle titles, cash and jewelry. These valuables should be kept with you during the move.
- Clear the refrigerator; use any perishable foods and limit any repurchases.
One Day Before You Move:
- Confirm with your moving company that you are scheduled for the date and time agreed upon.
- Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator.
- Clean your stove.
- Pack medications and any other necessities.
- Gather up house keys for new owner.
Day of your Move:
- Point out to moving crew anything that is extremely delicate.
- Do a final walk through of each room, every closet, the attic and the garage to make sure you have taken everything with you.